Friday, June 08, 2007

I can barely stay awake.

Today I had to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn to sub PE at the elementary school.

My first class was a group of autistic kids. There were five kids and three teachers aids and myself. I really didn't know what to do and the told me to stay with one of the students. The kid ended up getting stuck on the monkey bars and one of the teachers came over and helped me get him down.

Then he started eating mulch and making animal noises. I was so sad and I felt so fortunate to have a happy and healthy child. Then a few minutes passed and I ended up keeping my eye on another kid who had similiar traits. He would throw the mulch in the air.

Then he would start eating the mulch. The teacher had to tell him to spit it out because he would chew on it.

I noticed that the boys looked a like and when I asked the aid said that the boys were autistic twins. Then I later found out that there is only a single mother in the picture.

I can't imagine how that woman is able to care for those children alone. She must be an amazing person to be able to care for those kids that need and demand so much.

As a parent I can't imagine raising a normal and healthy child alone -- yet alone twins who are autistic and needs special services, guidance, and extreme patience.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger